Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Time for a break yet?

A week ago today, Keegan had surgery to place a new central IV line.  While we sat waiting at the hospital last Wednesday, I started drafting a long post about the craziness that had ensued the day before, but I never got around to finishing it.  It was a bunch of pity-me diatribe anyway, and as Audrey would say in her silly take of Sweet Brown's now somewhat infamous line, "nobody has time for that!"  If you don't know what I'm talking about, google it.  You'll thank me.  Promise.

If you have followed along with our updates via twitter on the right hand sidebar there, you'll know that Keegan's surgeon made a late-night decision last Tuesday to admit Keegan for surgery the next day and attempt the line "blind" because scheduling an MRV as taking too long.  After a very long day, Keegan finally came out of the OR in the early evening with a new tunneled catheter.  No more ports for him, that of course means no more swimming.  Something we will have to deal with next summer.  Unfortunately, the surgeon put the line in Keegan's right jugular, which will make his yearly heart catheterization, biopsy, and angiogram much more difficult.  Again, something we will deal with when the time comes.  The worst part of the day, however, was that Keegan was utterly confused by being discharged from the PACU, instead of going to an inpatient room.  We still are hoping it is just that it was a break from his routine, but to this day, he is still saying he needs to go to the inpatient floor.  A little prolonged for it to be just a routine issue.  We are praying that he is not foreshadowing a looming problem.

In true Keegan fashion, we have not had a break since last week's craziness.  His labs continue to drag; he is still having some difficulty with post-operative wound healing, and there was some concern Monday that the line may have been pulled out somewhat.  A third trip to the hospital in one day and a quick chest x-ray showed that it was ok to use though.  We should find out Friday if additional changes to his TPN and IV boluses is needed, but for now, we are adjusting to the increase in infusions.

We are hopeful that today's dismal weather will lift and allow us the opportunity to enjoy some trick-or-treating fun tomorrow as a family at home.  Once again, I ask for your patience as I update this blog only in fits and spurts.  I have every intention of doing a better job of updating in the coming months.  No honestly, I do.  Right now, I'm just barely keeping my head above water.  So thank you for every inch of grace you give to us and every prayer for Keegan's healing you can offer.  We appreciate it so much more than you know.

Keegan and his Buddy at his first Miracle League Track & Field Practice

Audrey and I in our official soccer team picture

No comments: