Thursday, March 31, 2011

Update

I have an enormous headache and not a lot of energy to think all this through today.  Bullet points, it is.

  • After consulting with neurology, radiology, and the cardiac team, we've decided that we will wait to close Keegan's PFO for another year or so.  He is a bit too small for a closure via cardiac catheterization right now.  Although it poses a risk to him, we don't think another event like this will happen.  If we start to notice any clotting issues, we can reassess, but this particular combination of events shouldn't happen again.  We are anticipating that we can have the PFO closed at the same time as one of his annual heart cath/biopsies in the next year and a half.
  • So far, his blood cultures have not grown back anything.  There are indicators in his blood that he is fighting something, but his fever has broken.  He hasn't shown any other signs of something else being wrong, so for now, we wait.
  • We are hoping that this round of antibiotics will not further aggravate his GI issues or bring back the c-diff infection.  We may culture for that tomorrow because we want to aggressively treat it, should it make a comeback.
  • He has been awfully pale and lethargic today, but he perked up this afternoon after a quick trip outside to get some sunshine.  Hoping that's a good sign!
We are praying that it is an uneventful next 24 hours, and then, we can go home for good this time.  Thank you for your outpouring of prayers and kind words.  We really needed to hear them, and you have helped lift our burden.  Thank you, friends.

1 comment:

Kristine said...

Holding out that you get to go home shortly! Lots of love to you.