Sunday, November 28, 2010

Dialysis

Just a quick update.  Keegan went to the OR this afternoon, and they successfully put in the dialysis catheter and a central line.  He received a platelet transfusion prior to surgery, and he's getting a blood transfusion now.  We should be starting dialysis in the next hour.  The platelets and blood are short-lived because his body is destroying them (hemolyzing) as quickly as we give them.  If we can correct the kidney failure, the blood issues should also start to resolve. 

I'm not going to dance around anything tonight.  He looks awful.  He is completely swollen, agitated, disoriented, and in pain.  He is absolutely parched for water but can't keep it down or pee it out.  He has started saying, "help please", "down please", and "all done hospital."  I don't think my heart could get more broken right now.  After three years and so many struggles, he can now finally verbalize what he is thinking, and it is absolutely killing me. 


After surgery...hard to believe, but he is even more swollen now.

To be honest, we are scared.  The literature on this condition does not exactly help.  This could go many directions, but this is the first time since post-transplant that I have sat helpless by his bedside and begged God to save my son.  We were not and are not ready for this.  I can simply ask for your prayers.  Pray for his comfort, pray that the dialysis begins to work, pray for his healing, pray for his strength.  We've never appreciated you more.  Thank you. 

12 comments:

Vickie said...

Dear maddie and Gray,
I am so sorry what's happening with Keegan right now.My whole family is praying for you all. Just try to remember that GOD is with you every step of the way.
Love Marley

Cody said...

Know that all of our prayers of love and healing are with you & your family.

Holding you & Bug close to our hearts, and in our constant prayers.
Love - Cody & Gary

Susy said...

I am praying and thinking of you all.

Ashley & Chuck said...

I can't even imagine what you are going through. I am praying for Keegan and the whole family. We love you guys!

Donna Garrett said...

You do not know me but saw the link to this page from a friend's facebook page. I am praying for your son and God's peace to be very real to you. Praying Psalms 91, that God will protect and shelter your son. I know God is able to do abundantly above all that we can think or ask! Believing with you!!!!

brenda said...

We have never had the blessing of meeting. I was given your prayer request from a dear friend. Our Haven had a heart transplant in Aug. of this year. Please know that we will be praying with you and your precious Keegan..be strong little man..

Amy said...

Hi, you guys dont know me..but I seen the prayer request on my friend Amandas page, I am praying for Keegan and your family..you all are in my thoughts and prayers! I had a 4 1/2 little girl named Kaydence that had HLHS, that waited 11 months at CMC Dallas on a heart transplant, unfortunately she had a stroke on memorial weekend, a heart attack on june 13th and passed away in my arms on june 17th, 2010. I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers...little Keegan is a strong boy and I pray that all goes well and he is healed. Please, if u need anything, please feel free to email me at amy_200385@yahoo.com God Bless and were thinking about yall!

The Millers said...

Maddie and Gray,
Please know we are all thinking of you and praying for Keegan. Please let us know if there is anything we can do- we'd love to help in any way we can.

Lauren Wood said...

Maddie,

I was your intern at the DA's office several summers ago and I have been keeping up with your blog ever since. You are all on my mind and in my heart. I am praying for Keegan, for your family, and for guidance of his doctors.

Thinking of you,

Lauren Wood

Anonymous said...

You have never met me, I will keep you in my prayers. I know a little bit of what your going through, when my son who is now 11 months old was born he had a torshion to his left testical and we had to go to dallas so he could have it fixed or removed when he was ten days old, that was the scariest thing i have ever dealt with. I hope everything goes good and he takes the dealysis good and he will be able to go home again soon.

April Wade

Heather Elise Campbell said...

Maddie - I've been thinking about Keegan all day. I'm praying for healing for your sweet boy and a peace that passes all understanding for you and your family.

scrippe1 said...

Maddie and Gray,
Our hearts are aching for him. We will tell everyone we know to pray - we know it has worked before, should work again.

We love all of you,
Stephanie and Samantha